Tires are arguably the most important component on the vehicle because they are the only component that actually touches Mother Earth. But like the brilliant, self-deprecating comedian Rodney Dangerfield used to say (to paraphrase) “They Get No Respect.”Industry surveys regularly find that an alarming percentage of drivers don’t know how to tell when a tire is bald or how to properly check air pressure. Too many consumers probably think of tires as black donuts that pop out of a machine in a factory.
In reality, today’s tires have between 19 and 25 different components and are highly engineered products designed to:
- Support the vehicle’s load.
- Propel the vehicle forward, backward and side to side.
- Stop the vehicle.
- Cushion the load from road imperfections like those nasty pot holes.
Tires are built from the inside out. The heart of every tire is an inner liner. Its job is to give the tire shape and hold in air. Fabric belts are wrapped around the inner liner. The bead is fastened to the bottom of the fabric belts and holds the tire to the wheel.
On top of the fabric belts are steel belts which give the tire stability and make the tread pattern contact with the surface in an optimum manner.
The tire sidewall gives it stiffness and ride characteristics. A taller, softer sidewall will absorb more bumps, while a shorter, stiffer sidewall will provide better cornering ability and sharper steering response.
The Mozzo Sport
Those are the basics. Then, you get into the particulars and extras that enhance tire performance.
For instance, for the Duraturn Mozzo Sport ultra high performance tire, vertical ridges in the tread grooves contribute to quiet running. How quiet? The Mozzo Sport is rated 3 decibels lower than the limit allowed in Europe.
- An Asymmetric tread design combines the best of both wet and dry handling. The inside tread design has additional siping for better traction on wet surfaces, while the outside half has characteristics that improve handling and cornering.
- Increased sidewall strength, a hallmark of Duraturn tires, contributes to better performance and safety. All possible due to the Duraturn factory’s advanced tire building machines and carcass structure technology.
- A full width spiral nylon wrap helps restrict expansion from centrifugal forces . . . lessening the chance for tread separation and improving uniformity.
- A rim protector in the lower portion of the sidewall helps prevent curb damage.
Shoes for your vehicle
If you give the "shoes for your vehicle" even a small percentage of the same forethought you give to buying a pair of sneakers, you will have a more enjoyable and possibly safer driving experience.
Here are five key considerations to discuss with your tire dealer when it comes time to replace your tires:
- What did you like about your current tires?
- What didn't you like?
- What are you looking for from a tire?
- What is important to you?
- How are you going to use the vehicle?
We encourage you to learn more about tires for the benefit of your driving experience, safety and wallet.